Once upon a time a traveller wandered into the high altitude mountainous folds of Ladakh in India. She meandered into a magical village in a valley which had an old monastery on top of a hill. She was enchanted by the serenity of the picturesque village and by the cherubic ‘Chungjungs’ – the novice monks of the ancient monastery. She noticed that they were really happy but needed some help with their reading. The traveller had to go back home. Back home she told her friends about the magical village of Likir. She decided to return & she kept her promise ..
Friends of Likir a.k.a FoL, is an initiative to nurture and educate children in isolated villages of Ladakh. FoL was born in Likir and so the name remains as a metaphor for acts of loving kindness, creativity, connection and compassion and our children’s right to education. Since then, Friends of Likir has joined hands with other isolated and neglected schools in the Ladakh terrain, Indo-China & Indo-Pakistan borders. Thank you for becoming a ‘Friend of Likir’.
This year, Friends of Likir branches out to 10 isolated and neglected schools in the Ladakh terrain, Indo-China & Indo-Pakistan borders.
Plans for 2012, 15th April onwards:
- Sourcing and collection of children’s books and setting up libraries in 10 schools.
- Re-designing reading spaces in existing schools
- Conducting learning modules, art and drama workshops over the next 6 months
- Providing children with games, toys, sports equipment, art & stationery supplies
- Health check-ups, vaccinations and treatment of respiratory and skin infections
- Sponsorships: Their tuition fee, boarding and annual expense.
- Educational Assistance to schools in remote and drastic environments
- Supporting Ladakhi teachers with educational resources, teaching aids and training programs.
FoL aspires to organically build an integrated network of like-minded individuals that can extend their support through care, love, time, effort, their skills or monetarily.
A few ways in which you can help:
- Spreading & sharing
- Collecting and gifting children’s books
For the books you may also visit the FoL wish lists-
- Sponsor a school library
- Sponsor a child.
If you are an individual who would like to volunteer your skills, creativity and time, have training in Montessori methods, experience with young learners, consider yourself a selfless nurturer, love children’s books or are a natural story-teller, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject-Volunteer with FoL.